Merax Finiss Aluminum mountain bike is one of the best-selling cheap bikes on Amazon. It provides exceptional value for the money.
The reason why this is such a cheap mountain bicycle is because of the components that are fitted on it. So let’s go over the components and product features of this Merax Finiss Aluminum mountain bike and cover some main pros and cons of this product.
Merax Finiss Aluminum Bike Specs
- Frame – Aluminum
- Front Suspension Fork
- Shifters – Shimano EF500 (Entry-level)
- Front derailleur – Shimano FD-TY500 (Entry-level)
- Rear derailleur – RD-TY300 (Entry-level)
- Brakes – Mechanical Disc Brakes
- Bike Weight – 40 lbs (~18 kg)
- Tires – Kenda 26″ x 1.95
- 24 Gears
- Weight Capacity: 330 lbs
As you can see, the components that this bike comes with are definitely not state of the art. You get a pretty basic setup found on most low-end bicycles, but that is something to expect from a $400 MTB.
Merax Finiss is cheap, but not at all cheaply made – it’s very decently specced, considering it costs less than $500.
The amount of travel on the fork is not specified, but it will definitely do what it was made to do. The front suspension will absorb the vibrations from the road and make your ride more comfortable and enjoyable.
Both the rear and front derailleurs are made by Shimano, so a decent degree of reliability is guaranteed. They will shift gears well, but you will need to adjust them more often if you want them to keep working properly.
The Merax Finiss Aluminum Mountain Bicycle comes in two color patterns: Black-Red-White and Blue–Orange-Black.
Even though Merax 26″ Aluminum is a cheap entry-level mountain bike, it still comes with some advantages that are worth mentioning. If you decide to buy it, these are the positive things you can expect to get out of it.
- Very cheap. This bike only costs around $200 on Amazon and that is an amazing price for a road bike.
- At 40 lbs (18 kg), it’s not a lightweight bike, but it’s not extremely heavy either. For recreational rides, this is a good weight.
- The bike is advertised as a unisex model and with the color choices that you have, it really is. It fits well both for men and women and the sleek design gives it a nice modern look.
- Entry level. If you are just developing an interest in cycling and you do not know whether it will last, this bike is a good choice. You will get a nice cycling experience but avoid breaking the bank at the same time.
- Shimano components. Even though the components come from a very basic groupset, they are produced by Shimano. This fact at least guarantees you will get good value for your money.
- Disc brakes. This bicycle has dual mechanical disc brakes that are light years ahead of rim brakes when it comes to mountain biking.
However, you need to be aware that a cheap bike like this one will come with many disadvantages and potential problems as well. Here are some of them:
- Plastic parts. Plastic components are never a good sign on a bicycle. Bicycle parts are designed to take a lot of beating, so the plastic material is not a good choice, especially when it comes to pedals and brake levers.
- Problems with gears. Some negative user reviews provide a testimony that the gears do not work well on this bike. They need to be adjusted and tampered with often.
- Noisy hubs. Some people who have bought this bike report that the hubs become noisy and develop a grinding sensation after some miles.
- Poor chain quality. The chain on this bicycle is very poor in quality. It wears off quickly, so you will need to replace it in order to be able to ride and shift gears properly if you ride this bike a lot.
- Overall poor build. The bicycle generally has a cheap and low quality to it when it is ridden, so it is not recommended for more experienced riders.
BUY IF you are just entering the world of cycling with a small amount of money Or if you plan to ride your bicycle just from time to time, as a weekend recreation, this bike might not be a bad choice.
Merax 26″ Aluminum is cheap because of the low-quality components placed on it, but for the money you need to invest, you cannot expect more.
DON’T BUY IF you are planning to ride a bicycle more seriously and put more miles into those cranks. You should invest in a product that offers better quality.